Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Recipe: Chicken and Rice

Yesterday was just one of those rainy days. Not a literal rainy day, but a metaphorical one. Sorry for the confusion, dear reader.

You know what I mean, though? One of those days where you're just down, and all you want to do is forget about the world that exists outside of the walls of your home? Or perhaps those days for you look more like all you want to do is escape the four walls of your home. Hard for us to imagine in this household since we're such boring little homebodies. And we like it that way.

Either way, yesterday was it. Not as much for me, but definitely for Levi. In the first five seconds he walked in the door I knew. The tell-tale signs were all there. The slumped shoulders. The slow walk in the front door. The smile that doesn't quite reach the eyes. My hero needed some rescuing. OK, more like he needed soothing, but you know what I mean.

Thankfully, I had made that amazing Cinnabon cake just before he got home, so after some moments to rest and debrief I was able to pull it out and brighten his spirits a bit. Then I encouraged him to do whatever he wanted, which last night included a computer game and playing his bass (which I find crazy sexy).

Then it was time for me to devise a dinner plan, except we're down to the end of the month and the end of our food budget, so we're trying not to buy any more groceries. This usually turns into some pretty inventive meals. And last night not only did I need to be inventive, but I also needed to create some good comfort food.

Enter, homemade chicken broth and the leftover chicken from making it two weeks ago. We didn't have proper noodles, nor did I feel like making them, but rice made a handy substitute. Sorry to say I didn't take any pictures, but this recipe was so completely thrown together that I can't imagine how you could go wrong.

Chicken and Rice

Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. chicken stock
1 1/2 c. cooked, shredded chicken
1 c. uncooked rice
1 small onion
2 carrots
1 garlic clove
2 tbs. olive oil
Herbs of your choice (I used rosemary, basil, thyme, and marjoram)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Using the oil, saute the onions for a few minutes in a pot. Then add the garlic and the carrots. Saute about three minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2. Add the chicken stock. Add your herbs and bring the stock to a boil. When the stock is boiling, add the rice. Boil for about ten minutes and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for another 10 minutes.

3. Add the chicken to the pot and cook until the whole mixture becomes thick, like stew, and the rice is tender. Serve with bread or some warm rolls. Tasty!

*For something extra, I added about 3/4 c. of our leftover lentils. That was really nice!

That was definitely a nice, warm dinner that comforted both of our tummies. I'm sure most of you have made chicken and rice before, but if not, it's super easy and quick to make from the staples most of us have in our homes at all times. And all stomachs will rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment