Monday, March 11, 2013

Letters, Lightsabers, and Love: Chapter 16



Levi and I married each other in June of 2012 after only six months of head-over-heels, foolish-about-each-other love. Our story, like every love story, has its own unique and sweet moments and timings. We continue to marvel at the way God orchestrated our lives to bring us together, and though it included pain and trials for both of us before we met, we wouldn't change anything about it. 

Everything that happened and every way that we grew led us to this moment. 


It was out there. We wanted to meet eat other. Now we had to figure out how to make that happen since we were separated by about 700 miles! 

-


Chapter 16: Plans

We were still on the phone, and the knot that had been twisting ever tighter in my stomach was finally untied. Our baggage was unpacked, we weren't scared away by what we found there, and the words "I want to meet you" had finally come out of Levi's mouth. And I'd answered them in kind. A new kind of excitement had set in, and it was finally something soothing. 

"So," I said, letting out one of those relieved, sort of nervous laughs, "how are we going to do this?"

"Well," he replied, laughing the same way, "I had a few ideas. How would you feel about me coming to you?"

"I feel really good about that." 

We tentatively decided that Levi would come down to visit me over a long weekend sometime in the next month or two. He'd take Friday and Monday off and use those days mostly for driving the 12 hour it would take him to get down to Southwest Kansas. 

"I don't think I could manage next weekend, but I'll let you know as soon as I figure something out," he told me. 

'Next weekend?!' I thought to myself. 'This guy seriously wants to come see me.' 

Now, I know a number of people might have been creeped out by a thought like that, but, surprisingly, I wasn't--and I'd been creeped out by a number of guys in my time. As I wondered why I wasn't running for the hills I realized: I was just as in to him as he was to me. We simply couldn't scare each other away. It was an incredibly relaxing thought because it meant that I didn't have to watch my words carefully or downplay my feelings when I talked to him for fear of running him off. 

I found myself thinking 'Up to two months before we can see each other? I don't want to wait that long.'

We ended our phone conversation on a sort-of breathless high note, both feeling like we'd reaching a huge stepping stone. You know those relationship moments? You have a big DTR talk (Define the Relationship) that goes the direction you were hoping, and then the two of you just sort of bask in the afterglow of a deeper understanding and a new closeness. 

The next day I sent Levi another e-mail, which felt a little strange since it had suddenly become the less-deep form of conversation between us, and explained my schedule a little bit. You see, I was the assistant Forensics coach, and February was our prime tournament time. I didn't have a free weekend, but the end of January was a mere two weeks away. That meant we'd have to see each other immediately or wait for six weeks. And I didn't want to wait six weeks, so . . .

Levi sent me an e-mail back, saying the magic words, "I've come up with half a plan that I'll talk to you about tomorrow." 

In the conversation "tomorrow," he outlined his plan: He'd take work off surrounding the last weekend in January (under two weeks away), drive down so he'd arrive late Friday afternoon, spend the weekend with me, and then drive back up to Minnesota on Monday. It was a free weekend for me, and my excitement instantly shot through the roof. 

"It's a plan!" I said, my smile actually hurting my cheeks. 

-

No comments:

Post a Comment