Thursday, July 23, 2015

Baby Prep: DIY Star Mobile

This is probably my favorite project to date. It was a bit tedious and time-consuming, but man, was it worth it.


Let's get right to the good stuff!

So I had a few inspiration pictures from Pinterest, and I was hoping for something a bit more woodland-creatures-related, but then the best shapes at our local craft store were stars. So I went ahead and bought those for the mobile, along with acrylic paint in nursery colors (lavender, navy blue, midnight blue, and deep plum), some monofilament thread, and a small wreath form (which I spray painted white).


With these materials assembled, it was time to create the mobile itself. First, I needed to put holes into the top of each star. Using our drill and the smallest bit we have I put a tiny hole into every star.



Once that was accomplished, it was time to paint the stars. This took a bit of time because I had to let the fronts dry before painting the backs, but they were all done within half an hour.


The lavender looks a bit washed out in this picture, but trust me, it looks great in person!

After the stars were painted, I devised a way to assemble to mobile. I hung it from a hook in our living room until it was at a comfortable level -- I worked on my knees, so it was pretty low to the ground!

As I worked, I started from the innermost circle of the wreath form and used the largest stars first. I worked my way slowly back on each level, just eyeballing the level of the stars and the placement of the colors.

I'd have to say that I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Here's what it will look like when Lil' Feisty is staring up at it.

I took it upstairs and screwed it into the ceiling with a simple hook. It really helps bring the colors together, and I am so excited to get a crib assembled underneath it now!


How great is that?!

-

I can't wait to keep making more things for the nursery!

Keep it real,



2 comments: