Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Week by Week: Week 22




Our Baby (a.k.a. Lil' Feisty): 
  • Measures around 11 inches long now and weighs anywhere from 12.7 ounces to 20.8 ounces. This seems like a big window, and it is. By this point, it's harder and harder to determine baby's actual weight. Let's just say that Lil' Feisty is growing a bunch!
  • Has more developed eyes and lips, meaning Lil' Feisty is finally starting to look like a newborn. 
  • Has colorless eyes because the irises still lack pigment. 
  • Sleeps in cycles (about 12-14 hours a day). This is probably why certain times of the day are almost always kick-free. 
  • Has wrinkly skin right now, but that will smooth out as Feisty continues to gain more weight. 
I (traditionally): 
  • Am having trouble catching my breath due to baby taking up more and more room. 
  • Have back pain due to the same thing. 
  • Could notice stretch marks any day now, and even.....an outtie! Turns out it's time to keep an eye out for that turkey timer to pop. 
  • Have a pretty active libido since my hormones are RAGING right now. 
  • Am gaining weight at a very steady pace now, and it's a good idea to keep it at less than one pound per week. 
  • Have extra hair growth in some, um, strange places because HORMONES. 
  • Have cycled back to constant hunger and/or hunger at strange times. 
I (actually):
  • Find breathing to be a pretty pinched experience when I'm sitting or slouching with my normal stellar posture. 
  • DO have lower back pain pretty regularly. I finally understand why pregnant women walk around with their hands braced against their lower back. It's because it hurts like the dickens! My cure? A scalding hot, super deep bath. The heat and the buoyancy of the water is exactly what I need. 
  • Still have no stretch marks, and I'm not even close to an outtie. Levi and I used to make fun of my belly button (we called it The Cave) because it was SO deep, so I'm hoping that will prevent an outtie from happening too soon. 
  • Am still not going to tell the internet about any magic that may or may not be happening. 
  • Am gaining right in between half-a-pound to a pound each week. Since I don't weigh myself every day it's kind of alarming to see how fast the numbers are going up!
  • Haven't noticed extra hair yet, but I might ask Levi to check my back tonight. I hear that extra hair can grow there . . .
  • Have those days where I feel like I could eat everything and anything. That smaller stomach doesn't seem to be a factor on those days.

This week saw a big jump forward in pregnancy-related items. My parents came to visit and dropped off nursery furniture they'd picked up at IKEA for us. Then my mom and I painted the upstairs bedroom that will be the nursery. Then Levi made HUGE progress on all the trim up there. Then I picked out some curtains for the room (but I have to wait on them because I promised Levi I'd wait until all the trim was done, AHHH!). Loving that nesting feeling!

My mom also took me on a small shopping spree to the mall. We visited one of the big-name maternity stores and came out with an arsenal of clothing for me. The most-needed items were definitely a pair of maternity shorts (amazing, and I want to wear them all the time), and some plain maternity under-tanks and t-shirts. Those will go a very long way for my remaining three-and-a-half months. And she helped me find some new bras (that will also be nursing bras when the time comes). Holy cow, how good does it feel to finally wear bras that fit again? It's VERY weird to size up, though. We bought bras that will fit me fine right now, but can still grow as I keep growing and once my milk comes in and I have giant rocks attached to my chest. Let's just say that it's very surreal to buy a bra in a size E. Yikes. 

I attended my second meeting of the Childbirth Collective here in my town, and it was a greatly informative time. Our speaker was a local chiropractor who explained to us the benefits chiropractic care can have when used during and after pregnancy. Now, I've never been to a chiropractor before, so this was all new to me. I feel like I learned a lot, and I'm glad to know what some more options are as I get further along in my pregnancy. There was also a lot of discussion after the presentation about the various standard procedures at our local hospitals, and I learned about a few more items to mention on my birth plan. I'm so grateful for this group!

Freak-Out Moments:

No moments this week! Smooth sailing this time.

-

Keep it real, y'all!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment